Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Pursuit of Happin*ss, the Perfect Job, the Ideal Weight, oh and the INTERNET!


The Pursuit of Happin*ss, the Perfect Job, the Ideal Weight, oh and the INTERNET!

Now I am enjoying the perfect life. Well life style! I am enjoying each day. The sun shining, soft breezes the birds, the loons,… oh did I mention I am at the cottage? Every thing is perfect. Only missing one thing – you guessed it – the INTERNET. I inquired at both Bell and Rogers. Seems that Devil Lake in Ontario is in no man’s land, the devil of a place to get reception – even cell phones do not work.

Imagine my excitement when I found the Westport Tourist Information has FREE wireless connection! I can now sit outside the Information building and enjoy the view of the Big Rideau and check my emails, work on my web site, enter my blog,… you get the picture… all until my battery runs out on my lap top. Seems that is in just over an hour. Time to get things done but not explore.

This is where the fitness part comes in. My computer has decided it is time for a break. So a walk around Westport checking all the shops is on the schedule, then a drive around the countryside listening to my inspirational / motivational cds and back to the cottage.

Being at the cottage without internet and a laptop is not a new experience for me. Now of course everything has changed. I can make the 15 minutes or so trip in to town and send my emails in a timely manner. Don’t feel so isolated or …. Forgotten. There are people (maybe just on auto-responder) but who email me.

What a crazy world we live in that we need to feel connected – ALL THE TIME! Check out your facebook entries. You find out what your friends are doing, what they are watching, where they are going, or where they have been. Pictures of holidays, concerts, or just something they have heard all make it to their posts. And I am loving it! The world is a big place and we just don’t get to see or talk to all the people we meet. Facebook is filling the gap.

I was leery of facebook. Warned about it! You have heard it all! But there is a place for it. I re-met with many friends from high school at a 40th Anniversary reunion (still think the number is wrong!) I don’t have anything in common with them. It has been almost 40 years since we went to school together but the neat thing is we still do connect. We are the same age. Grew up in the same neighbourhood – well for a time and now are grown up. Facebook has provided another link. We read comments or ideas from each other. Next time we meet we won’t be such strangers.

And the INTERNET has provided it. Well I guess it is time for my trip to town. So many emails to send and receive! ENJOY YOUR SUNSHINE! Take a walk and drink your water! And remember to stay focused to be the BEST YOU CAN BE!

No comments: